What is Regression Test
Regression testing is a type of software testing that ensures that previously developed and tested software still performs the same way after it is changed after a code change, to discover any defects introduced or uncovered as a result of the code change.
When do we do Regression Testing?
We do software regression testing whenever there is a code change. Some regression testing examples are here.
1. When new functionalities are added to the application.
2. When there is a Change Requirement (In organizations, we call it as CR).
3. When there is a Defect Fix.
4. When there is a Performance Issue Fix.
5. When there is an Environment change.
How we do regression testing (Manual or Automation?)
Regression tests can be extremely tedious and time-consuming. Regression testing is done after every deployment. In other to make life easy, I will recommend we automate our test cases instead of running them manually on every deployment. Imagine a situation when you have thousands of test cases, life will be much easier when you create automation test scripts for these test cases which we run on every build or deployment.
Automating your regression testing is the best practices and choice of organizations to save a lot of time.
An effective way of planning your Regression Test
The following must be considered:
- What test cases must be executed.
- When it is necessary to execute regression testing.
- What must be improved and changed in the test cases.
- What is needed to perform the automated testing?
- What and how should be automated.
- What tools should be used for automating the process?
- How to analyze and report the outcomes of the regression testing.
Regression Testing Tools:
- IBM Rational Functional Tester
- AdventNet QEngine
Most of these tools serve as both functional and regression test tools. When looking out for regression test tools, you should ensure that the tool allows you to update your test cases easily.
Finally, regression testing is something I will recommend to every organization as one of the best practices that must be adapted. Any organization put to work diverse testing strategies with automated regression testing at the core, it will actually help to prevent projects from going over budget, and, most importantly, prevent unexpected bugs from causing damage to your products.